29 February, 2008

D + AEA = COOL DAY

Today's cool story goes a little like this...

Actually it starts with last night. I went over to my beau's apartment & told him that the ASM* on our show at the theatre (where I work) would be out for a performance next week & since we needed an Equity** person to cover, I was gonna step in.

My proud pro-union gent challenged me, asking if it was really right for me to do to the job when there could be some actor out there who could actually use this one week of work to secure his/her health insurance.*** I felt immediately guilty and distraught over the fact that I wasn't pro-union enough myself to have realized that - and then that smart guy I'm dating says, "I mean, D. could even get his Equity card by doing it."

And my jaw dropped - of course! Why didn't I think of that?! How could I not have thought of that first?!

D. is one of my closest friends - a companion though many things and quite a talented actor. To have the opportunity to present him with this simple, yet honest way of gaining his status as a member of the Actors' Equity Association allowed an excitement to creep up within me that could not be contained.

Long story short, in the span of just a few hours, D. agreed and is now on his way to becoming a Professional Actor... just as soon as he pays those initiation fees.

That's a pretty cool day. Congrats, D!!


* ASM - assistant stage manager

** Equity - the professional actors' union

*** AEA members need the equivalent of 12 weeks of work to gain 6 months of health insurance, 20 weeks for 1 year

No comments:

Post a Comment