09 February, 2008

RABBIT HOLE

Every once in a while I get stuck inside the rabbit hole of my own mind. It can be a pretty scary place in there! It's dark and heavy - your feet sink into the quicksand of all your fears and doubts, you grasp at false hopes, you angrily bat away images you'd rather not see. Even if you look totally put together on the outside, the walls of that rabbit hole are high and it can be tricky to see the light.

Most of the time, I need help. Someone to lean over the edge, give me their hand and pull me out. But sometimes I'm able to rise to a warmer, calmer place on my own by using the simple things that make me happy: playing my piano, practicing yoga & meditation, singing, running... these wonderful activities allow my mind to let go and see the beauty of life that's always around me (whether I'm taking the time to look or not).

Perhaps creating a truer habit of these activities will keep that rabbit hole to less of a cavern and more of a pothole. It's much easier to get out of - or even sidestep - a pothole.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes, resting in the dark helps us to appreciate the light.
    No matter how dark the valley may seem today, one step at a time towards the light is all it takes. Each step renews your strength & determination. Remember, you were born to climb to the mountain top!

    ReplyDelete