11 March, 2008

BRIDESMAID'S DRESS

I received a box in the mail at work today. It was a flat square, about 2 feet on all sides and only an inch and a half tall. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what I would've ordered that would've been delivered in a box that size.

Lo and behold - it was a bridesmaid's dress. My bridesmaid's dress. My first.

And though I've been planning to be a bridesmaid (the maid of honor, to boot!) for this particular wedding for most of my life - having the dress delivered in that odd box seemed so... unceremonious. Just a plain, cardboard box to house something that you've been excited about for years upon years.

I opened it, thinking it might be carefully wrapped in tissue paper (like a glorious Christmas present)... but no. Just on a hanger, covered in that thin plastic sheeth that your shirts are returned in after you've taken them to the dry cleaners. And a receipt, shoved in the bottom of the box.

And now, it's back in the box - propped up against my living room wall. Seems so... unproper. Even though the wedding's another 7 months off, perhaps I'll hang it in a place of honor - or at least in a very honorable place in my closet. Seems a bit more fitting that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment