20 January, 2008

GIANTS

I've truly come to love football. At first, as a kid, I'd just watch it because my dad watched it. Then in high school, I totally ignored it (except that I'd sort of half-watch because I was in the band that played at half time). Come college, I got hooked on the Steelers because I went to school in downtown Pittsburgh and it's impossible NOT to have a Steelers heart while living there.

Above all, I love the feeling and energy of being in a room full of people who are all cheering for the same team - all focused on the same goal: winning. And it's best when the team you're rooting for is the underdog, (best that is if they come out on top)!

So tonight, when a good friend of mine & I had a "Girls Night Out at a Bar Watching Football" it was tremendously exciting to see the Giants win their final playoff game before advancing to the Super Bowl. And particularly cool to be in New York City when it happened.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a Giants fan (personally, I think Eli is a bit of a dork - a dork with a good arm)... I guess, sometimes, it's not so much the team you're cheering for, but the feeling of being caught up in something greater than you - a swelling of anticipation and a sudden bursting forth of passion and joy from an entire group of people at the same time - that can be really incredible.

So, way to go Giants. And kudos in particular to #9 who finally got that third-time's-a-charm redemption at the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment