17 April, 2008

OH, HI

New York is not that big.
There's a bazillion people, but physically - it's just not that big.
It's pretty small in fact.
Small enough that when you run into someone unexpectedly (even if in the 5 years you've lived in this city, you've never EVER run into them by sheer chance) it shouldn't altogether shock you.

But sometimes it does.
Sometimes you think - of all the people, of all the subway cars, of all the neighborhoods...

And no doubt, you're usually on your way somewhere (and in my case, often running almost late) so there's not very much time to: A) get over the initial surprise at seeing them and B) linger there on the corner of 79th and Broadway, making small talk, and wanting to stay there forever.

I suppose I'd like to think of it as fate - but instead, it actually feels like a mischievous taunting - a treat on a string at the end of a stick, hanging right in front of my face and just beyond my reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment