27 April, 2008

TOP GIRLS

Marisa Tomei - no way. Other than that, an intriguing show at MTC.

But on a bigger picture level, it made me think of what it means to be a "top girl". In a nutshell (although it's hard to wrap up any Churchill play in a nutshell) the first act of the show is a cast of 6 women (and 1 woman who's a great actress, but gets a throw-away role) who are all powerful, presumably single ladies at the top - or climbing their way to the top - of their field. And all are from different eras in history, including present day (or rather 1980's England).

They are all beautiful. They are all successful. But I don't believe that any of them are happy.

I look around me everyday in New York and witness dozens upon dozens of beautiful, successful, seemingly single (or at least un-married) women. And I now find myself among them. And I wonder if any of us are truly happy with just ourselves and our careers. Or if we need that added element of a relationship to make us feel "whole". Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment