08 May, 2008

LOST KEYS

There are things that happen to us which can feel like curses at the time, but turn out to be blessings in disguise. One of them happened to me last night. A lost set of keys.

Now, I pride myself on the fact that I NEVER lose my keys. It's one thing that I really try to be particularly cautious about: always knowing where my keys are. And now that I live by myself, it's not like I can rely on a roomate to let me in.

Yesterday was a long day. An early morning, many frustrations throughout the afternoon, a "stumble through" of our play with all the technical elements involved (which is stressful for everyone), a late night... and all I wanted to do at the end of the day was get home, take off my very dirty, dusty, paint-filled clothes and go to sleep in my giant comfortable bed.

But when I got to the front door of my building: no keys. I searched. Frantically through my bag. Still no keys. Ah!, I thought - the Super has an extra set. I go to the long hallway outside leading to my Super's door. Gate. Locked. Can't even get to his door to knock. I go back to the front door, try the buzzer marked SUPE ... nothing... I open my phone to call a few friends that live nearby to see if I can crash at their place. Dead. Phone's dead. No battery.

So - I sit down on the steps and weigh the remaining 2 options. Get back on the subway and ride an hour and a half into Queens where I know there are some lovely people I can stay with (which is truly the most unappealing idea after I just spent an hour on the train getting home!) - or - walk a block and a 1/2 to the apartment where I used to live. Where I'm 99% sure a nice young man will be there who will let me sleep on his futon, no questions asked... even though it may be the more awkward and emotionally challenging of the 2 choices.

And that's what I do. And after a little crying, a small drink, and a hot shower - I feel better. And somehow, in that moment, by the grace of God alone - I am able to appreciate the goodness of friendship. And I laugh for the first time all day, with a dear soul who has always been able to make me laugh. And I fall asleep smiling to myself and thinking "if only these walls could talk - the stories they would tell!"

And there you have it: a blessing in disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment