01 May, 2008

PROTEST

In Union Square Park today, there was a protest (for what I think was in response to the outcome of the Sean Bell trial). News vans and reporters flooded the area. Hundreds of protesters were there. Loud speakers that overwhelmed the square with chants of mumbled crowd pleasing ranting.

And on our way across the park, a friend and I passed about 20 police officers who were there obviously to "keep the peace"... but they were laughing and hanging out, some with cups of coffee, some with bags of chips, some sitting on the ground, some talking to people passing by.

Now, I'm not at all making judgements about the cops or the protesters - I don't feel particularly engaged on either side of the debate. But if I'm correct in thinking that it was about the Sean Bell trial - and there were those police officers there, hanging out like it was no big deal - something about that strikes me as a bit surreal.

Good material for an absurdist play?

No comments:

Post a Comment