16 June, 2008

ANYONE & EVERYONE

PBS is amazing. I've known this for a long time, but every once in a while the raw truth that I am able to see on public television makes me very proud.

"The worst kind of truths are the 'truths' you're taught, the things you think are 'true' but you learn later that they are not."

- This was a quote from a Mormon father, speaking about his previous beliefs on homosexuality - those that he learned from his church - and what he knows now that his gay son has opened his eyes.

"...that I had to stop crying, love him fiercely, and try to make this world a better place for him and people like him."

- From a mother who cried for days upon learning that her son is gay, and then came to this revelation after a whole night of prayer and tears on the bathroom floor.

"I never heard of Asian gay people. So when my daughter 'came out' I didn't even know what to say. I'm not a stupid woman, but I was ignorant and afraid."

It was so interesting to see these parents struggling with not only accepting their children as homosexual, but also coming out themselves in a way - to their neighbors, to their friends, to their faith community - who may be unwilling to accept them as well. Once the parents fully accepted their sons and daughters, they had to go through their own experiences of the ignorance and fear that many people have when it comes to this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment