13 July, 2008

SOLVENT

Before going to bed last night, I reconciled all my bank accounts, credit cards, student loans, retirement funds, checks, cash, and any other things having to do with money - and was left with only one thing: debt.

I've got it. Probably more than I should. Definitely more than I want. And out of that long process of reconciliation (and with a little help from a certain someone who told me that no, I was not allowed to pay $2,501.50 for a theatre ticket, even if it did come with a tiara, scepter & opera glasses)... I have decided that I need to spend more wisely.

Cut to this morning: a sleepy me, oh-so-comfortable under the covers. And a familiar Sunday morning argument that I sometimes have with myself begins. Church: to go or not to go. After hitting the snooze on my alarm one too many times, I decide to go & rush to get ready. And although I am a few minutes late, we are singing one of my favorite hymns as I come in. And that makes me feel that decision to come was a good one.

But apparently the REAL reason I was supposed to be there was the sermon: "Beloved Ones, Get Out of Debt".

More often than I probably take time to note, this happens to me. My Sunday morning church experience hits me right in the center of whatever's on my mind, or my heart. And although I usually come to terms with the action I'm supposed to take regarding the issue at hand before I sit in that pew - it sure doesn't hurt to have someone (Someone) else remind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment