28 August, 2008

HOLDING FIRMLY

My thoughts during Barack's video & speech tonight... and the longest "political" blog I may ever write.

Is that David Strathairn as the voice of the Obama video? Interesting choice. Aww... what a cute story of their first date. And what an honest wedding picture. "The beating heart of that family" - a line about mothers that I definitely identify with. "We recognize ourselves in each other." That stadium of 80,000 people was SILENT at the end of that video.

Here he is! Oh - he's taking it all in... he's enjoying the moment. And look at Michelle - she is so proud. (I wish I had counted how many times he said THANK YOU - that would've been a fun fact.) "... and with great humility, I accept the nomination for presidency of the United States of America." Hillary shout out - nice. Wow. Joe Biden has really white teeth. Oh! And look how big that grin on Barack's face is when he talks about his wife & daughters!

"We are a better country than this."

"ENOUGH!" (Maybe Barack was a theatrical actor in a previous life.) Very respectful camera look with the nod to his challenger... aw, snap - "a nation of whiners" - that's harsh, McCain. "It's not because John McCain doesn't care; it's because John McCain doesn't get it." Geez! He's eloquent and funny and charming and RIGHT.

(Oh, I want him to win. Please God, let him win.)

[MOM!! AHH! Mom called in the middle of the speech and although I answered with "I can't talk; I'm watching Barack", I did answer. And I think I agreed to two pairs of shoes that may or may not match my bridesmaid dress. I was barely paying attention, but when she said she was leaving her 2nd job - at 10:30pm - and on her way to her 3rd job from which she won't get home until tomorrow morning... I teared up and thought, SEE. THIS IS WHY HE NEEDS TO WIN.]

Spelling out exactly what you'll do as president, huh? That's direct. And I hope it's all true. When you mention percentages, like 95%, people go crazy!

"That's right," says Michelle.

When the camera pans to close-ups of the audience, every single person looks like they're going to smile and cry at the same time - that is the look of belief and hope even when all seems hopeless - oh, I know that look so well.

"A renewed sense of responsibility from each of us." Yes, yes. It can't be a Barack-hero mentality. It must be ALL of us. Wow. Obama gets preachy when he talks about war - makes me feel like I'm goin' to church - thankya JEsus!

(Wait. Why all of a sudden the shot of empty seats in the stadium? Bad PR, NBC.)

GREAT statement about respecting people's opinions even if they're not your own. "Patriotism has no politics." Trying to bridge that gap... oh, it's wide. Man, he's smart. It makes me wanna jump through my TV and hug that guy!

"All across America, something is stirring..."

"This election has never been about me. It's about you."

"Change doesn't come from Washington, change comes to Washington."

(I'm yelling in solidarity at the TV during a political speech in the same way I do when a FOOTBALL game is on!!) Ah, there it is. The reference to Dr. King. And there's the other part. When Barack suddenly becomes a southern preacher. I kind of love that. Listen to the virbrato in his voice. He is SUCH a good speaker.

"We must, in the words of scripture, hold firmly without waivering to the hope that we confess."

PS - what is this song??

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic piece of writing! Great job covering the speech!

    -Shane

    ReplyDelete