09 September, 2008

LIVIN' THE DREAM

Recently, I've heard a few people in my field use the phrase "Livin' the Dream".

It's usually in response to "Hey, dude - how are ya?" "Oh, you know - livin' the dream." Or "Morning, C - what's up?" "Just livin' the dream." In my experience, it's always followed by a sarcastic laugh or a snarky remark about how life in the theatre isn't all it's cracked up to be.

This morning I woke up a bit frustrated by that comment. Was I dreaming about living the dream? I mean, sure we don't get to sit around and hang out and do nothing and be totally happy & relaxed and get paid for it... but NO ONE DOES! And we are working in what I think is one of the most exciting, constantly changing, creative fields: live theatre. Entertainment, people.

I get to be intimately involved in more plays and musicals than most of my friends back home will ever even see. I get to discuss how to make a waterfall out of sand in a room with an 8 foot ceiling. I get to dress up and go to fancy Broadway openings and final dress rehearsals of sold out shows. I get to hear hilarious horror stories of diva actresses. I get to be a part of almost every element that goes into making a piece of theatre, everything the audience sees and tons of things they'll never know about. I get to DO THEATRE. Everyday. Every. Day.

I think that means I really AM living the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment