07 May, 2009

LISTEN, REACT

It is an eye-opening thing to be humbled. I often feel that I am great at my job. I often KNOW that I am great at my job. And I every so often, I let those feelings get the better of me... which is usually right about when something or someone barges in to remind me that I still have a lot of learning to do.

My first reaction is to get defensive (a primitive reaction) and I can feel my breath quicken and my pulse begin to race. Luckily there's usually a wonderful filter that keeps me from saying anything too immediately - and I'm able to perk up my ears and listen to the advice being given.

A list that has served me well - and will continue to do so:

A) Listen
B) React

The other way around usually causes more problems than it's worth. And a small bruise to the ego, plus increased knowledge of self and of my job, is a small price to pay to become a better manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment