04 March, 2010

SLEEPLESS LOVE

I'm surviving on about 2-3 chunks of 2-3 hours of sleep a night.  And though there are moments during the day when I feel like a zombie, I am somehow able to muster what feels like super-human strength every night around 2 a.m. (and again around 4:30 a.m.) and I am instantly awake - at least enough to feed my child.  As my mother put it, "2 a.m. feedings are mommy & Grace moments... while she studies your face and snuggles in your arms and you realize each night what an incredible miracle she is and how blessed you are. Love grows and you will hold these moments in your heart forever..."

Well stated, mama.  Reading those words makes me know that all these sleepless (or sleep-interrupted, rather) nights are incredibly worth it.  And then I read the next line of her comment:  "You can catch up on your sleep anytime."  And I almost shutter at the knowledge that this line was written by a woman who I know has barely gotten more than 4-5 hours a sleep a night since the day I was born.  

A sobering thought.  Where's my pillow?

No comments:

Post a Comment