21 May, 2010

OVERHEARD

FRIDAY WORDS OVERHEARD

"How 'bout that party last night, huh?  She was wasted!  And she kept being like 'Hey! Why aren't you drinking? You look like you need a drink. I'm buying you a drink!'  She's a mess..."

This particular "overheard" is one that hits a little close to home.  I was in an elevator with these two guys while they were discussing said party; we were on our way up to the 12th floor of a rehearsal hall for a staged reading of a new musical.  And although they didn't know who I was, I knew who they were (the theatrical community is small, people!).  And although they had no idea, I was also at that party the night before (did I mention how small it is?).  And the most uncomfortable example of this small world... I knew the "she" they were talking about.  She's a friend of mine.  They had no idea.  So, I guess I mean that it was uncomfortable for me - they were oblivious.

What a wake up call for me, though!  A reminder that New York isn't as big as it seems, and the theatre world has a million small connections - you never know who you might wind up in an elevator with.

1 comment:

  1. This is a lesson i learned very recently. I was in a changing room at a department store talking about my boss, her neighbor was in the next stall. Needless to say, i wont be doing that again!!

    ReplyDelete