23 January, 2008

"INTO THE WILD"

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm reading the book.
And then I will mostly likely go see the movie.

Many people I know have said how great the movie is - how great the story is - but I'm not sure yet. I mean, I can't speak to the movie... but the book is hard for me to read. And I don't mean difficult to get through - it's well-written, intriguing - I mean emotionally.

I'm only about 1/2 way through, but I feel caught between feeling overjoyed for the kid and feeling my heart break for him. And not just him - but those who loved him, too.

I agree that it's important and noble to search for your Self, to seek out Who You Are, to strive to be the Person You Want to Be. But, at what cost? Aren't we, as humans, also responsible to other humans... not just ourselves? Is he daring and forthright about staying true to himself, or is he just young & selfish?

I may be speaking too soon about this dichotomy I feel. Perhaps I'll have a different opinion once I finish the story. But for now, I'm walking a fine line between admiration and frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment