10 January, 2008

GOTTA HAVE FRIENDS

For the past 3 1/2 months I've been sleeping on friends' black pleather couches and wooden futons. And while I'm looking forward to enjoying my queen-size bed (in my own bedroom, in my own apartment, into which I'll be moving this weekend) it's bittersweet to be leaving the comfort and safety of my friends' homes.

These four incredible individuals have been a tremendously vital part of my life during a time of upheaval and change and what felt like the world falling apart around me. They have been my family when I couldn't be with my family. They have been my reason to smile when it was all I could do not to cry. They have let me eat their food, watch their reality television, spend much too much time in their bathrooms. They have patiently listened to me overanalyze my problems (again and again... and again). They have had the wisdom to let me be alone when I needed to be alone - and to dress me up and take me out when I needed not to be alone.

They have, each in their own unique way, affected a positive change in my Self that I daresay I will not soon forget.

Sometimes, there are almost tangible moments when you can feel a friendship taking shape. Deepening, solidifying. And although these moments may tend to have their roots in grief or pain or hardship, they are not to be missed - not to be taken for granted.

To the four of you: I am truly grateful beyond words.

1 comment:

  1. "Cuz you gotta have friieeeeends..."

    Love you

    ReplyDelete