27 January, 2008

SACRIFICES

In church today, the pastor commented that... "to move forward in your career in New York, you make big sacrifices."

And I thought - what have those sacrifices been for me?

Perhaps I am sacrificing my desire to be married - a thing which many of my friends back home (who are the same age as I am) already have. Perhaps I am sacrificing the meaningful life-changing step of having children - another thing which many of my Ohio friends have. Perhaps I am sacrificing my close connection with my family - since they all live there and I'm the one who moved away. Perhaps I am sacrificing the complacent ease of being comfortable for a life that's much more challenging.

And is a career worth those sacrifices?

As I take stock of what I have in my life, I am reminded of my overwhelming blessings. And I am also reminded that I have not truly sacrificed any of those things to be here, but am perhaps only taking the longer way around.

The married couples I know in New York are, on average, five years older than me - so there's still time! Those I know in New York who have children are also holding down, and enjoying, viable careers - so there's still hope! And with the internet, cell phones, and cheap flights to Akron/Canton, my family is only a click, call or plane ride away - and we have a closeness between us that could never be doubted, not for a million miles.

And as for having a challenging life: yes, I'll agree with that. It is challenging to live here in New York City. And it is challenging to want things in my life that are not in the cards for me right now. But it is a challenge I have chosen - and I am glad to be living it, fully and with grace.

"Sometimes the longest way around is the shortest way home."
- C. S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment