03 March, 2008

A NEW EARTH

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of Oprah.

She seems too "in your face" and smug for my taste. And people always argue with me about the good she does for women's self-worth and children in Africa and mankind in general... but I stand my ground - I don't really like her.

That being said, I have begun to read the lastest book in her Club: A New Earth, by Eckhart Tolle. I have a relationship with these types of books that I can't quite describe. The books that challenge conventional thinking, that make you want to be a better person, that make you feel like it's actually possible to become that better person.

But aren't they all the same? The Power of Now. The Secret. The Four Agreements. The Power of Intention. The Artist's Way. The Wisdom of Insecurity (a personal favorite). Even a few glorious novels like The Razor's Edge, The Alchemist, Le Petit Prince. It's always about The Something that you don't have, but you'd like to get.

And even though I question if I'm just re-reading the same basic ideas over and over and over... I obviously haven't totally gotten them yet, or I wouldn't feel the need to go read yet another one! But I do. And I am.

And I blame Oprah. (Although I'm sure I'm just about to get to that point in this new book about how that's really my Ego talking and my Truer Self would embrace her for allowing me to reach a Higher Consciousness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment