04 May, 2008

NOW & NOT YET

Lately, I've been wrestling with this concept of "living in the present". Not longing to be put back into the past when everything seemed better (even if it really wasn't) and not longing to rush toward the future (when hopefully everything will be better).

It's a tough concept. And I believe wrestling is the right word for what I'm doing with it. I'm struggling. Sometimes I feel pinned down. Sometimes I feel I'm going head-to-head with the present moment. Sometimes I'm angry at it - wanting it to be something that it's not. Sometimes I feel like I'm winning... 1... 2... and then the Present shoves her shoulder up off the ground right before the count of 3.

Today during the sermon at church, an appropriate statement was made to capture this way that I'm feeling: "We are all balancing between the Now and the Not Yet."

And I do feel like I'm balancing - perhaps precariously, and with a BIG long pole to help me not fall off the tightrope. But balancing, nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. That's a good way of seeing it...one big balancing act. Keep on walking that tight rope :-)

    ReplyDelete