12 June, 2008

EITHER / OR (re-post)

Monday, September 3, 2007

I just finished reading two books on living out your dreams: GOD HAS A DREAM FOR YOUR LIFE by Shelia Walsh and THE ALCHEMIST by Paulo Coelho. The books differ in style, but give a similar message: belief in your self, belief in your dreams, belief in your ability to fully realize both.

Sunday night, having dreams on the brain, (so to speak) I walked into the nearest bank to use the ATM and the first thing I see when I open the door is an ad for the bank stating:“Stop dreaming & start doing.”I stared at that sign for what felt like five minutes – trying to reconcile that moment in my brain when I think I’ve finally got a handle on everything, and then am suddenly surprised by another reality.

Stop dreaming. Start doing. STOP dreaming.

I wondered why they had to be separate. Why was it either / or, and not both? And that made me think of other things in my life that feel like either / or…

Family / Career
Work / Fun
Dreams / Reality

I thought a lot about those things, things that seem to be opposites. Things we can’t seem to have together, but must choose between. And then I started to think about something that a pretty cool guy mentioned to me… there are opposites in each of us. Ideas, choices, beliefs that seem to be contrary, but when put together make us Who We Are.

We wouldn’t be Who We Are (or half as interesting) without that dichotomy.

Monday morning, still thinking about opposites, I walked into my personal bank to make a deposit and the first thing I see when I get off the elevator is an ad for the bank stating:“There’s a dream in each of us – let’s make it happen.”

Ah! There! Sunday night – one message. Monday morning – another. Opposites all around.
In both ads, the message is the same: dreaming alone isn’t enough, you also need action. To be truly fulfilled, it can’t be either dreaming or doing, it has to be both.

No comments:

Post a Comment