16 August, 2008

SELLING CRAZY

If you’re selling crazy

We’re not buying


This was the sign I saw on the door to my local bodega. Hand-written on a piece of notebook paper. Black magic marker scrawled across a white background. And taped to the door.


What prompted this sign, I wonder… was it just one too many neighborhood bums wandering in and out? Was it a certifiably “crazy” person who came in and caused a ruckus? Was there are door-to-door solicitor who actually was selling crazy? And how bold to put up a sign announcing the fact that they were fed up.


There are days when I think maybe I could use a sign like that. Perhaps the guy with the 5th grader’s handwriting could make me one of those signs. Perhaps he could go into business selling them. He could sell signs about not buying. Huh - wouldn’t that be oxymoronic.

No comments:

Post a Comment