21 June, 2009

FATHER'S DAY

Cooking reminds me of my dad. As I sit in this kitchen right now - just having put the tortilla-crusted drumsticks into the oven, waiting for the water to boil for the cubed red potatoes, and listening to Dreamland - I think of my dad on this day dedicated to thinking about fathers.

I am blessed with a father who has been more than understanding in every possible situation; who has done nothing but encouraged me to be who I am and do what I want to do; who is quiet and wise and shares my love of music; who has always taught by example, with laughter and love.

I also think today of father-figures, uncles, mentors, fathers-in-law, those whose fathers are only here in memory, fathers-to-be, and my brother (who is also, to my constant amazement, witnessing the dramatic responsibility of being a dad).

A Fathers' Day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment