23 November, 2009

FINGERS CROSSED

One of the questions in my pregnancy diary (yep, I've got one) is "What is the nicest thing a stranger has done for you recently?" I could never think of something more original than "given up his/her seat for me on the subway" ... which, of course, is nice - but I wanted something better.

Well, this morning, a little old lady in our neighborhood won the prize. She passed us slowly as we were walking down the sidewalk, clothed in dark colors & heavy coat, in her babushka and with shuffling feet - she couldn't have been more than 5 feet tall. She looked at me, pointed to my belly, then crossed her fingers on one hand with a knowing smile... and was on her way.

I smiled back and managed a quiet "thank you" before my eyes glazed over with tears. Sweet & simple with no words, but a lot of meaning. Now that's one for the diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment