04 October, 2011

DAY 4 - Driving (When I Can Walk Instead)

The 24 Things Clearing Challenge 
encourages you to make room in your home, heart, and mind to create an inspired future

I didn't own a car until I was almost 30. I didn't get my license until I was 18, then went to college in Pittsburgh where I used the bus or the "T". And I've lived in the convenient subway-ed New York City ever since I graduated. I never had a need for a car. And then we had a baby.

Not our baby... nor our car
We knew we'd want to drive home to Ohio and Maryland as often as we could to see the grandparents and visit with family - so we bought my younger sister's teal Nissan Sentra. And it's served us well these past 2 years.

But I've noticed recently that I have developed a tendency to use the car more often than I really need to... I mean, I spent 7 years in New York without one and now I'm in it at least once a day. It's usually more for the convenience of it, or the fact that I'm running late to pick my daughter up from day care, than because I actually need to use it. I used to make the 25 minute walk to day care - but now it seems so much easier to hop in the car. And I know it's better for the environment, my health and my sanity (driving in NYC really makes me crazy) if I chose to walk instead.

So that's what I will start to choose as of today. I will no longer default to the car. I will prepare myself half an hour earlier to pick up my baby girl. I will plan ahead.

The results of this day's letting go: smaller carbon footprint; smaller waistline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment