16 October, 2011

DAY 16 - Past Relationships

The 24 Things Clearing Challenge 
encourages you to make room in your home, heart, and mind to create an inspired future

I've never been one to totally give up on past relationships. And I don't mean that I still pine for any of the previous gents I've dated... I mean that it has always seemed a bit odd to me that you can spend months or years of your life with someone, sharing intimate personal feelings, and then break-up with them and not have them in your life anymore (or not be a part of their life).

I've kept in touch - albeit mostly remotely (I'm talking to you, Facebook) - with almost everyone I've ever dated. And every now and then I still hear from or reach out to some of their parents, too. (I'm proud to say that I've always been the kind of girl that parents have liked.)

But even I have a few items that remind me too much of the people with whom they're associated: jewelry that was given to me by a past beau, pictures of a smiling couple long gone, letters that mean something to me which I can't bring myself to throw away.

So into a small box they go. Wrapped with a red ribbon - which my Feng Shui books tells me is a good thing to do. I like the stories these items tell. They're part of my story.

The results of today's letting go: a secret spot for stories I might share with my daughter later in life; a box of reminders for why I love my husband so dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment